Friday, October 12, 2018

Grateful Dead - Day Job - 1995

[UPDATE: I've made enough changes to this album to justify an updated archive. Something I rarely do. I've removed the two songs I was never quite happy with: Keep Your Day Job and Samba In The Rain and swapped the version of Days Between with a new edit by John Hilgart over at Save Your Face. Overall the album feels more concise and consistent from front to back. On Nov. 22nd the band will finally release their version. With only 9 songs but still long enough to make it a double vinyl album due to using all live version it still seems long to me but at least we'll finally have the band's input.]

Last week I addressed The Grateful Dead's hypothetical first album so I thought it appropriate that I take a look at their last. I've been seeing a lot of constructions of what could have been the last Grateful Dead album before Jerry Garcia passed away. I enjoyed all of them but none of them satisfied me completely for one reason or another so I decided to throw my hat in the ring.

In 1995 The Dead had begun the process of recording their next album. According to interviews they had barely gotten past the stage of laying down the foundation when Jerry checked out. While ideally it would be best to polish off those recordings, Jerry never got around to doing his vocals or solos which renders the album impossible to finish from the band's perspective.

Fortunately for us all songs in contention were played live on many occasions. The band recorded every show which gives us plenty of source material to construct a facsimile of what the album could have sounded like. Interpretations of this album vary and production was still in its early stages so the only clues we have from the band is a list of potential songs in no particular order.

01 Lazy River Road (Jerry Garcia/Robert Hunter)
02 Corinna (Bob Weir/Mickey Hart/Robert Hunter)
03 Wave to the Wind (Phil Lesh/Robert Hunter)
04 Easy Answers (Bob Weir/Bob Bralove/Rob Wasserman/Vince Welnick/Robert Hunter)
05 If the Shoe Fits (Phil Lesh/Andrew Charles)
06 So Many Roads (Jerry Garcia/Robert Hunter)
07 Way to Go Home (Vince Welnick/Bob Bralove/Robert Hunter)
08 Liberty (Jerry Garcia/Robert Hunter)
09 Eternity (Bob Weir/Rob Wasserman/Willie Dixon)
10 Days Between (Jerry Garcia/Robert Hunter)

Reality Notes

The first version of this album I heard was Days Between (The Final Album That Never Was), by Tony Sclafani, author of The Grateful Dead FAQ book. This remained my goto version right up to when I started my construction. What I liked most about Tony's construction was his use of shorter length versions over longer jams even when the longer version was better. This allowed all 12 tracks to fit comfortably on one disc.

I think my growing dissatisfaction came down to sequencing, not enough Jerry and too much Phil. As a bass player Phil sits among my pantheon of bass gods but I have never been a fan of his voice and there were three Phil songs. To rectify this I dropped Phil's Childhood's End (the worst offender) and added Keep Your Day Job. I'm well aware of the controversy over Day Job but I have always liked the song and feel it is mostly misinterpreted by those who speak against it (if you're one of those then just delete the song and you'll still have a full album). I swapped a few other versions and shuffled the songs around until I had a good flow from track to track.

I have been enjoying this construction, I'm very pleased with how it came out. It's amazing how swapping out a few songs can complete an album. My only complaint would be its length. At just over 72 minutes it is quite hefty but this is the swan song of one of rock's most iconic bands so I'm willing to let the length slide. It fits on a CD and it's The Grateful Dead. I'm Happy.

There's still a few scraps out there to collect together. I had the cover song Women are Smarter in contention but in the end went with an all originals tracklist. If someone could find a version of Childhood's End where Phil doesn't sound like an average bar band singer let me know. It's an OK song and is filler worthy but time constraints and subpar vocals pushed it out of contention for this construction.

The cover again utilizes a tour poster graphic with added text by me. I like using tour poster art because I feel it's the closest we can get to official artwork and band promo photos don't always make good album covers.

Hindsight

I was going to add these hindsights chronologically but I wanted to address this album specifically because it is the only one that I have changed since posting. after some further listens it still felt long. I've since dropped Day Job and Samba In The Rain. As much as I like Day Job neither song seemed to fit. I'm not updating the download so if you want to play along you can just delete those songs. Eventhough I'm dropping the title song I'm keeping the album as named. It's a cool name and kind of a tribute to one of my favorite songs of this period that never found a home. This does mean that there are still a small handful of post Built To Last songs that are still unused. Hmmm.

A recent post on the Save Your Face blog led me to an acoustic Dead show on 09/24/1994 at The Berkeley Community Theatre that was billed as a Phil and Friends show but was The Dead minus the drummers. During the set they did a version of Phil's Childhood's End that is for me the most listenable version I've heard yet. If I were to make a comp of what's left I would go with that version. They also did a fine version of Lazy River Road that is almost as good as this one but not enough to replace it. It would have been nice to have at least one acoustic number on the album.

Is it on my iPod? Yes. The Dead is one of the few bands that I have their full studio discography with me at all times including all of the constructions here. It gives me a fuller picture of the band I feel and makes for an interesting listen when on shuffle.

6 comments:

  1. As you may know, I posted a version of the Dead's last album on my blog, "Albums that Should Exist." Unusually for me, I just straight up posted Tony Sciafani's version, cos I thought he nailed it.

    However, I have since changed my mind. I realized a problem was that the album went on too long. 70 minutes or so is too long for virtually any studio album not named "The White Album." Instead, my plan is to make two albums, one covering 1989 to 1993, and the other 1993 to 1995. I haven't posted those on my blog yet, but I plan to do so soon.

    And by the way, I hear you about Phil's vocals. Although I love "Box of Rain," including the singing on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to your take on this. I do agree on the length, too long. I'm sure if Jerry had stuck around long enough to finish the album it would have been kept to 10 tracks long probably by cutting another Phil song or Samba which if I remember right was taken out of setlist rotation towards the end, Day Job as never really in the running as far as I know. I like Box of Rain as well, Phil sings well and the harmonies help it along. I've listened to that album countless times along with Workingman's, perfect albums both of them. Phil was singing different then but had to stop singing for a while because his technique was damaging his throat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like this is one we've all had a go at, and I thought that by using studio and rehearsal takes rather then live ones I could keep the length of mine down, but it was 71 minutes as well, and that's with substituting 'Childhood's End' for 'Samba In The Rain' and leaving out 'Keep Your Day Job'. Unless we can agree on two songs so remove completely then I guess that's how long it's going to have to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be fine with dropping Samba and Childhood, Day Job doesn't really belong so I'm ok dropping that as well. That would make my list as follows:

      Lazy River Road
      Corinna
      Wave to the Wind
      Easy Answers
      If the Shoe Fits
      So Many Roads
      Way to Go Home
      Liberty
      Eternity
      Days Between

      You could probably drop If The Shoe Fits as well and still have a full album.

      Delete
  4. I don't object to "Day Job" like a lot of people do. (I think a lot of people misinterpret the lyrics, thinking the song is saying don't take risks.) However, that song is from a very different time. Here's a list of all the Dead originals from 1980 onwards, and when they were first played:

    8-28-81: Never Trust A Woman
    8-28-82: Day Job & West L.A. Fadeaway
    9-15-82: Touch of Grey
    9-17-82: Throwing Stones
    4-13-83: Maybe You Know
    3-25-83: My Brother Esau
    5-13-83: Hell in a Bucket
    3/28/84 - Don’t Need Love
    4/23/84 - Only a Fool
    3/27/86 - Revolutionary Hamstrung Blues
    12/15/86 - When Push Comes To Shove; Black Muddy River
    6/17/88 - Victim Or The Crime
    6/19/88 - Foolish Heart
    6/20/88 - Blow Away
    6/22/88 - I Will Take You Home
    6/23/88 - Believe it Or Not
    6/26.88 - Gentleman Start engines
    10/20/88 - Built To Last
    2/5/89 - Standing On The Moon; We Can Run
    2/7/89 - Just A Little Light
    4/28/89 - Picasso Moon
    3/17/91 - Rubin & Cherise
    2/22/92 - So Many Roads; Wave To The Wind
    2/24/92 - Corrina; Long Way To Go Home
    2/21/93 - Lazy River Road; Eternity; Liberty
    2/22/93 - Days Between
    6/5/93 - Easy Answers
    6/8/94 - Samba In The Rain
    6/9/94 - If The Shoe Fits
    7/20/94 - Childhood’s End
    2/21/95 - Salt Lake City
    3/19/95 - Unbroken Chain

    As you can see, there are a lot of other songs in the 1980s that never made any Dead studio album. The problem is, nearly all of them are not Garcia-Hunter songs. (Note that Reuben and Cherise and Salt Lake City are kind of borderline cases, because they were both first recorded in the 1970s on solo projects, but only done live by the Dead much later.)

    I'm working on alternate albums that will have all of the unreleased ones (in studio form) on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, and "Unbroken Chain" is another borderline case like that, since it first showed up on the Dead's 1974 album, but never got played in concert until 1995.

      Delete