Friday, September 4, 2020

Jess Greenberg - YouTube

In 2018 I declared September YouTube month where each week I presented an artist that I discovered and/or follow primarily on YouTube. In 2019 I failed to follow up on that theme but in 2020 I have a couple more for you.

During YouTube month of 2018 I received a request for a Jess Greenberg comp. At the time I had about 50 of her videos downloaded but for some reason they resisted all attempts to extract the audio. I would try every now and then and finally I managed through VLC and after some time going through each track I have narrowed the list down to fit on one CD.

Jess posts in small bursts it seems. The most recent is three months old at the time of this post but the previous video is three years old. Her first video was posted nine years ago, as you watch them in chronological order you can watch her mature.

Tracklist

01 Beast of Burden - The Rolling Stones
02 Stop this train - John Mayer
03 Big Love - Fleetwood Mac
04 Crazy in Love - Beyonce Knowles
05 Little Wing - Jimi Hendrix
06 We Found Love - Rihanna
07 Fly me to the moon - Bart Howard
08 Dark Side - Kelly Clarkson
09 Kiss me - Sixpence None the Richer
10 Wanted dead or alive - Bon Jovi
11 Underdog - Kasabian
12 Why'd you only call me when you're high - Arctic Monkeys
13 Maybe I'm Amazed - Paul McCartney
14 Domino - Jessie J
15 Somebody Else's Guy - Jocelyn Brown
16 Everlong - Foo Fighters
17 Fever - Eddie Cooley & Otis Blackwell
18 You've got to show me love - Robin S
19 Get Lucky - Daft Punk
20 When you were young - The Killers
21 Gold on the Ceiling - The Black Keys
22 I don't trust myself (with loving you) - John Mayer
23 Heart-Shaped Box - Nirvana
24 Titanium - David Guetta
25 Wherever You Will Go - The Calling
26 I Got You (I Feel Good) vs Scuttle Buttin' - James Brown-Stevie Ray

Reality Notes

Jess has posted almost 80 videos over the years so if you like these check out her channel for more. As far as I can tell Jess has not posted any original music but is focused on covers. Jess has a wonderful voice and excellent guitar chops and is certainly impressive but overall her videos often didn't affect me in the same way Reina Del Cid or the artist that is featured in my next post. I would like to hear her in a more fully produced performance where her voice can shine a bit more and use her guitar skills in a more controlled environment.

The bulk of Jess' videos were recorded the same way. It looks like she used a laptop or PC webcam using the built in mic in her bedroom. So, while the sound is not perfect, it is clear and consistent which gives the comp a cohesive feel to it. She covers a wide range of styles and genres, some worked for me more than others but everyone's taste is different so again, if you like these you might like the rest so check them out.

Now, about that cover. Sometime during her second year of posting she started wearing the low-cut tops. I'm sure that had something to do with the increase in play counts her videos receive but be sure that the music is the main focus. In fact, one of the reasons for doing this comp was so I could enjoy the performance without the distraction of the wardrobe. The cover here is a cropped screenshot of one of her videos (I believe from the Beast of Burden video, I can tell by the chord she's playing) to which I added the text.

Website
YouTube
Facebook

13 comments:

  1. "distracting" is an understatement. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful article! I wish I had your insight on this topic and could write as well as you. I hope many people get the opportunity to enjoy this great content. www.buyyoutubesubscribers.in

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for shearing post amazing this is post very useful for me.
    New Media

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it when people come together and share opinions, great blog, keep it up. https://onlinemusicpromotion.net/buy-youtube-views/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post. This is really good. Thanks for sharing this information. Keep sharing.
    Nail Salon in Fresno CA

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi .
    I just discovered your blog. I'm interested in all the Rolling Stones covers. Here is No expectations. Can you have it for me, please? Giuseppe from Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think Jesse has posted a cover of that song and I haven't found any in my library. I did include the original version on Volume 12 of my Melancholia series.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thank you for your effort, obviously it's a case of homonymy

    ReplyDelete