Saturday, August 13, 2022

The Beatles - Get Back TV Special 1969

I've got something very different for you today. I have a few projects simmering on the stove so to speak and will put those up eventually but I've been working on this one for a bit and I feel it is ready to share and get some feedback consider this version one. What makes this different is that it is a video I edited rather than an audio construction. I have been watching fanedits of films for some time now and recently decided to try my hand at the process. I've done some simple editing in the past, mostly limited to joining two or more videos together and maybe some trimming on the beginnings and endings. This was my first foray deeper into some of the more complex parts of the craft.
 
So what do I have for you and how does it relate to this blog? Nothing less than the possible answer to the question "What if the Get Back project resulted in a TV special instead of a film?". The concept of the project changed and evolved from inception to completion. Ideas ranged from comeback concerts and films to TV specials and albums. What we got was a film that showed the band bickering and arguing before coming together to make music and an accompanying LP that featured post-production decisions made by Phil Spector that betrayed the bands original intentions of a live in-the-studio recording.

What I did was take the original Let It Be movie - sourced from a VHS ripped from my own copy -  and removed all the behind the scenes discussions and rehearsals leaving just the music. The source was already in standard 4:3 TV format so all I had to do was trim, remove, rearrange and add some opening titles. I hope you enjoy it.


00:00 Intro
01:15 Get Back
04:24 Don't Let Me Down
07:46 The Long And Winding Road
11:20 For You Blue
14:15 I've Got A Feeling
18:05 Two Of Us
21:35 One After 909
24:39 I Me Mine
26:23 Dig A Pony
30:10 Dig It
32:12 Let It Be
36:13 Get Back (Reprise)

I felt using the VHS source would give it a more authentic "as seen on TV" feel. I kept the original audio, my skills are not yet to the level where I can replace and sync the whole soundtrack. It would be interesting to see if this could be recreated using the Peter Jackson version. 
 
As you can see I passed on Across The Universe. Like I Me Mine the film only shows them rehearsing the song but unlike I Me Mine there was no real take that could be called even decent. 
 
I have a link on the downloads page or you can watch it here. I would be overjoyed if somebody chose to mirror this and upload to YouTube/Vimeo or anywhere else. I tried creating a new YouTube channel just for this but the video was denied due to copyrights. Just say you got it from a friend of a friend. A new and final version three is done and uploaded and the link has been updated. Just a couple transition tweaks and the addition of a time appropriate BBC ID and end credits.

9 comments:

  1. The first multimedia project of the "Alternate Albums" family. Looking forward to taking a look at it! Any other projects involving film on the way, Uncle Dan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would make a pretty good 1 hour program in the U.S., once commercials for cigarettes, beer and McDonalds had been inserted. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it stands up to repeat viewings. There are many spots I could have inserted ads but hunting down period appropriate commercials seemed too daunting and would interrupt the flow. Maybe someday down the line for an alt version.

      Delete
  3. Another superb effort. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought this may have made the "What If....Beatles Edition" !?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might show up there eventually if it's possible to place a new post within the story. Otherwise it sits at the top of the posts instead of in the right place in the timeline.

      Delete
  5. Really enjoyed it. Keep going and look forward to seeing any other beatles efforts.
    ND

    ReplyDelete