Friday, August 17, 2018

Guns N' Roses - Perfect Crime - 1992

While the last two albums showed growth in both production and songwriting, Perfect Crime is a return to form of sorts.While production flourishes are still present the songs themselves are all full on hard rock/heavy metal. No ballads here. This is the album many hard core fans were waiting for.

Recorded almost simultaneously with the previous album The Garden it was held back to be released at the mid point in the upcoming mega tour. Whether or not they appear on every song is uncertain but this is the last album to feature all of the original members.

Side One
01 Locomotive
02 Perfect Crime
03 Right Next Door To Hell
04 Shotgun Blues
05 You Could Be Mine

Side Two
01 Garden Of Eden
02 Pretty Tied Up
03 Double Talkin' Jive
04 Coma
05 My World

Reality Notes

The third and final installment in my breakdown and reconstruction of the Use Your Illusions CDs. As I mentioned in the last post, I could not find any reliable documentation that would have helped me group the post '90 tracks chronologically so I made the decision to divide them by style. After the acoustic Lies and the ballads found on the last two albums it's a bit refreshing to hear the guys just full out rocking.

I wanted to keep the cover heavy and straight forward to match the contents. Nothing too fancy.

So, what have I learned from this? Even with the smaller doses there is still a lot here that I would probably still skip. I did find some songs that I passed on before that I find I do like. If I had to cull a single disc from the two it would probably look something like this (in no particular order):

Civil War
Don't Damn Me
Dust N' Bones
Yesterdays
November Rain
The Garden
You Ain't The First
Bad Apples
Locomotive
Bad Obsession
Knockin' On Heaven's Door
Garden Of Eden
Perfect Crime
Double Talkin' Jive
Shotgun Blues
You Could Be Mine

Of course if I did this next week it would most likely come out different. We had some discussion about what to do about Chinese Democracy. My opinion was that I have a hard time accepting it as a GN'R album, but I am ok viewing it as an Axl Rose solo album. It is a good album though not always my style. To complete that idea, I threw together a few covers to replace and rebrand the album. I settled on the one here. I used a picture that was floating around as a fake cover for the album before it was released. I make no mention of GN'R or Axl beyond his initials in the logo which gives the impression that Chinese Democracy could be the name of the band.

Thanks for listening and now on to other things.

3 comments:

  1. If that 'we' is meant to include myself, I am honored but don't feel that worthy of co-credit, even though I can understand why LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. In addition, the single cull you propose could actually be a maybe not-stopgap, but like something Geffen would put out, ala Live Era, as a '20th Century Masters- Millenium Collection' type CD like these: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_5_20?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=20th+century+masters+the+millennium+collection&sprefix=20th+century+masters%2Cpopular%2C379&crid=2EZQ7PHCRK3YZ.

    I figure once I've ran these three and the rest through a marathon and feel them out, I could then arrange this faux-Millenium Collection along the lines of these 'releases', just mocking up a cover along these lines [and no matter how I'm looking for it, I would swear I saw one *FOR* Gn'R once at a Target or a Wal-Mart, but at least on Amazon, I'm rolling snake eyes :(].

    [I am by no means suggesting you take a hack at it, your re-covering of CD was above and beyond necessity, though appreciated LOL, besides, it looks as simple as the crop job I mentioned for that redux I sent you last week, crop off the band photo, leaving the top logo, editing in Guns N' Roses in a similar typeface, then attaching it to a preferable photo of them and voila ;)]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had more fun than I thought I would doing these. Appetite and Lies were enough for me but I found some songs I liked more that I missed first time around. Dust and Bones is at the top of the list. I'm a bit GN'R'd out at the moment though and I'm looking forward to working on and sharing some different stuff. I have a couple on deck I'm excited about. Nothing earth shattering cool, more close to my heart kind of cool. Stay tuned.

      Delete