Friday, April 5, 2019

Bruce Springsteen II

[Still busy but I had this one laying around]

A while back I posted what could have been Bruce Springsteen's debut album. At the time I posted I was trying to maintain a certain amount of realism in regards to release schedules and album lengths so I refrained from posting this.

This is the follow-up to that imagined debut album. It's sources are the same though I opened up some criteria in choosing the songs. While the first was strictly just Bruce and a guitar or piano, this album bears witness to the beginnings of the E-Street Band.

While still stripped down to the bare minimum as far as backing arrangements go, some of these songs are more fleshed out than others. When he signed, the label had hopes that they found the next folky Dylan but Bruce had other plans.

01 Bishop Danced
02 New York City Serenade
03 Evacuation of the West
04 Cowboys Of The Sea
05 Hey Santa Ana
06 Marie
07 Visitation at Fort Horne
08 The Angel

Reality Notes

As noted above, the sources for these tracks come from the same two bootlegs that I created the alt-debut from though some songs have seen official release in some form. Overall, this still does not exhaust the pool of songs from those CDs. Also included on those discs are songs that would be re-recorded for inclusion on the first two albums Greetings From Asbury Park and The Wild, The Innocent and the E-Street Shuffle as well as a few more unreleased songs.

This is a fine companion to the the alt-debut. For the cover I wanted something simple. I'm pretty sure that the picture is contemporary with the music. I imagine the pic being embossed into the cover.

Sources
Before The Fame
The Early Years

1 comment: