Friday, September 7, 2018

Molly Lewis - SweetAfton23

I have declared September to be "YouTube star" month! Each week this month I will post a collection of songs from an artist that I first heard or follow on YouTube. The tracks themselves were ripped from the videos posted on their official channel. Each collection will be timed to fit on a CD meant to introduce you to the artist and their work. I will do my usual editing of removing spoken intros and outtros unless appropriate as well as EQ and volume matching where needed.

I came across Molly Lewis - aka: SweetAfton23, her original YouTube handle - when I was looking for songs to learn after I purchased my first ukulele. One of the first songs I found was Political Science by Randy Newman as performed by Molly Lewis. What kept me coming back to her channel was her charm and sense of humor and that she played the uke as her main instrument.

Contextual evidence from her videos suggests that she recorded most of her videos while she was in college and that music was/is a passionate but sideline hobby. She appeared to achieve some local fame as a performer and her videos receive a large amount of plays, she even had the opportunity to play her song for Stephen Fry (one of my favorite Brittish comedians) to the man himself. She does have a few songs for sale on her Bandcamp page so check out her channel and show her a little love and support (links below).

01 An Open Letter to Stephen Fry
02 Political Science
03 Crazy
04 Creep
05 Don t Think Twice, It s Alright
06 Hidden in the Sand
07 I Believe She's Lying
08 Toxic
09 It All Makes Sense At The End
10 Two Of Us (Mother s Day special)
11 I Pity The Fool
12 MOUSTACHES (Taken At All/Dear Prudence)
13 My Hope
14 Istanbul (Not Constantinople)
15 Only You
16 Our American Cousin
17 Poisoning Pigeons In The Park
18 Road Trip
19 Some Postman
20 Still Alive
21 Tom Cruise Crazy
22 Adverbs
23 10,000 SUBSCRIBERS medley
24 A Christmas Carol
25 PEEP FIGHT

Reality Notes

The quality of Molly's videos changed for the better as she honed her craft. The audio quality varies depending on the location chosen for the video. Of the four artists I will be presenting, Molly is the only one for which I am including original songs among her covers so Molly, if you see this and wish me to take down any or all of these songs, just say the word. But do know that I made this collection out of love and respect for your talent.

YouTube Channel
Website
Bandcamp

8 comments:

  1. Please tell me there is video of her performing Open Letter for him, I am a major SF fan, and I couldn't help bursting laughing listening to the song LOL and would just love to have seen and heard his reaction ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely!

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1bXy5pSGJE

      Stephen's reactions are quite adorable.

      Delete
  2. I like your YouTube concept. There are a lot of talented musicians out there without record contracts who could use more exposure. For instance, here's a guitarist I recently stumbled across who really impressed me:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSs04hqycJ8

    And he recently got to play with Stevie Wonder, which must have been awesome:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5re01x0pI8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! Very nice. Thanks. Gonna go and see what else he has.

      Delete
    2. This woman is really good too:

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw05CcYENjo

      As people said in the comments section, "Come for the boobs, but stay for the music." ;)

      Delete
    3. Yes, I have watched Jess many times. I think I should put together something for her so we can listen to her without distractions.

      Delete
    4. Great. I haven't had time to gather her best songs yet. But if you do that, I'll definitely grab your version.

      By the way, I just got curious and Googled about her. Turns out she's mentally brilliant as well as a looker. She's recently graduated from a top university and now works in some high powered finance job, despite still being quite young.

      Delete