Thursday, November 2, 2023

The Theme From...


Here's something a bit different. This is a collection of TV theme songs but not just any theme song. The wife and I were binge watching the old Judd Hirsch series Taxi and I fell in love with the theme song and was inspired to collect as many jazzy/funky/MOR theme songs as I could fit on a CD.
 
My main criteria was that the song must be an instrumental. No snappy tune where the lyrics explained the show's premise. I broke that instrumental rule only twice but for good reasons.
 
Because TV themes tend to be no more than a minute to a minute and a half this is one of my longer track listings. I searched for the full versions of as many tunes as I could and bent the rules slightly for a couple of interludes but my main goal was to make it fun to listen to. I hope I achieved that goal. Enjoy.

Tracklist

01 Bob Newhart (Home to Emily)
02 Sanford And Son
03 Taxi (Angela)
04 The Office
05 MASH (Suicide is Painless)
06 Peter Gunn
07 Barney Miller
08 Night Court
09 Arrested Development
10 Room 222
11 Peanuts
12 Jeopardy [Think Music]
13 Hawaii Five-0
14 Mission_Impossible
15 Portlandia (Feel It All Around - Washed Out)
16 I Dream Of Jeannie
17 Pink Panther
18 Rockford Files
19 Newhart
20 Curb Your Enthusiasm
21 Batman
22 Hill Street Blues
23 Trailer Park Boys
24 Wings
25 Northern Exposure
26 Breaking Bad
27 Countdown [Think Music]
28 SWAT
29 Andy Griffith Show
30 thirtysomethig
31 Bewitched
32 Twin Peaks
33 The Munsters
34 The Man From UNCLE
35 Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Journey of the Sorcerer - The Eagles)

Bonus
36 Weeds (Little Boxes)

Reality Notes

While most of these tracks are named after the show they are associated with some existed before being chosen as a theme song. I put the actual name in parenthesis when applicable. 
 
The few songs that have vocals on them are tracks 15, 21 and 36. The full version of the Portlandia theme has some vocals but they are almost unintelligible. The Batman theme uses the vocals almost as another instrument and just repeats the name Batman over and over. The song Little Boxes by Malvina Reynolds opened the show Weeds and I looked forward to hearing it every time I went to watch the show.The song predates the show, first recorded by Pete Seeger in 1963, so the lyrics are unrelated to the show's premise. Over the course of the series they used different versions of the song but this one stuck in my head. Think of it as a bonus song.

5 comments:

  1. You must listen to this TV tune. The programme was Ghost Squad and I can still remember it from the 1960's so imfectiuos. :)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBUIvj_j0jU

    Enjoy.
    ND

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your welcome Uncle Dan. Keep up the good work with your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always loved the Simon and Simon theme song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like a volume 2 might be in order. Any other suggestions?

      Delete